20 June, 2018

At least 60 dead after migrant boat sinks | Megafetch

At least 60 migrants died in the Mediterranean sea when their rubber dinghy sank last week, according to survivor testimonies gathered by a rights group in Sicily.

The Diciotti, an Italian coastguard ship carrying more than 500 migrants, docked Tuesday night at the Sicilian port of Pozzallo.
Among those on board were around 40 survivors of an accident last Tuesday which saw a US Navy boat come to the aid of drowning migrants after their dinghy sank off the coast of Libya.
At the time the US Navy reported seeing around 12 bodies in the water but were unable to locate them after the rescue.
The survivors interviewed by volunteers from the human rights association Medu in Sicily said that their dinghy had been carrying 117 people, which would put the death toll at over 70.
The NGO Doctors Without Borders (MSF) put the toll slightly lower at 60 dead also on the basis of accounts from survivors, who reported 100 people aboard the vessel.
“I have never seen such frightened and traumatised eyes after a landing,” said Teo di Piazza, coordinator of MSF psychologists.
“The people had no strength left.”
The most recent migrant arrival in Sicily comes as key EU leaders prepare to hold crisis talks on migration in Brussels on Sunday.
The talks follow last week’s row over the fate of more than 600 migrants on the Aquarius rescue ship, who Italy turned away, thrusting the migrant question back to the top of the EU agenda.

AFP

19 June, 2018

World Cup: Mikel Trains 10 Minutes Ahead of Other Eagles | Megafetch

Nigeria captain Mikel Obi has intensified preparations for the team’s second Group D match at the 2018 World Cup in Russia against Iceland on Friday.
The 31-year-old was criticised by Nigerians for putting up a below par performance in the team’s 2-0 loss to Croatia in their opening match on Saturday.
In a video posted by Kwese ESPN on Monday, Mikel arrived at the team’s training ground in Essentuki 10 minutes ahead of the other members of the team. The China-based midfielder was seen doing some personal trainings to correct some of the mistakes made in the Croatia match.
In the short video, Mikel was seen practicing set-pieces with none of his teammates in sight while only a few members of the team’s technical crew were also around.
Punch reports that the video showed the Nigeria captain exuding the body language of one determined to make amends after Saturday’s opening day loss to Croatia.
At Monday’s training session in Essentuki, Mikel was first out of the dressing room and spent nearly 10 minutes out on his own on the pitch kicking one of the team’s numerous footballs and using one of the goals for target practice.
He was eventually joined by the rest of the squad and the coaches, and they trained for another hour. The Super Eagles play their second game of the World Cup against Iceland on June 22 in Volgograd.

GOVERNOR WIKE SWEARS-IN NEWLY ELECTED LOCAL GOVERNMENT COUNCIL CHAIRMEN |MEGAFETCH

Press Release by The Special Assistant to the Rivers State Governor, Electronic Media. Hon. Simeon Nwakaudu.


Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike has sworn-in the 23 Local Government Council Chairmen elected during the June 16, 2018 Local Government  Elections conducted by the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission (RSIEC).

Performing the swearing-in at the Executive Council Chambers on Monday, Governor Wike charged the council chairmen  to prioritise payment of salaries, promotion of security and environmental sanitation.

He said: "Now that you have  emerged through a credible process, you must prioritise payment of salaries. This is key as no excuses will be tolerated.

"Council money is for salaries, development of the areas and security. You should endeavour to leave legacies of development across the state. Make a difference through the  development of your local government areas."

He advised the newly sworn-in local government council chairmen to work closely with security agencies in their local government areas.

"You must create avenues of cooperation with all the security agencies.  That  will help  you create the right environment for development to take place  in your areas", he said.

The governor charged the council chairmen of Akuku-Toru, Asari-Toru and Degema to develop the right platforms to ensure that their communities are safe.

He challenged the council chairmen of Port Harcourt City Local Government Area, Obio/Akpor Local Government Area, Ikwerre Local Government Area, Oyigbo Local Government Area and Eleme Local Government Area to take serious steps to ensure they  clean specific areas of their councils.

Watch the video here;

Governor Wike urged the council chairmen to work amicably with their councillors to avoid unnecessary conflicts that will cripple  their councils.

On the conduct of the Local Government Elections, Governor Wike commended the security agencies for providing security for the peaceful and credible conduct of the polls.

He also commended the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission for conducting free, fair and credible polls.

The swearing-in ceremony was attended by leaders of the state, commissioners and party chieftains.

ROLL-OUT OF CIVIL SERVANTS' QUARTERS: GOVERNOR WIKE DECLARES COMMITMENT TO WORKERS WELFARE | MEGAFETCH

By Simeon Nwakaudu,
Special Assistant to the Rivers State Governor, Electronic Media.


Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike has declared that his administration will continue to give priority attention to the welfare of civil servants.

Also, Former Plateau State Governor, Senator Jonah David Jang declared that the excellent performance of Governor Wike and other PDP Governors is an indication that only PDP can redeem Nigeria.

They spoke on Monday during the commissioning of 24   3-Bedroom Flats for Civil Servants in Port Harcourt.

Speaking at the  commissioning ceremony, Governor Wike said: "This is a day for workers. This is a direct project meant for the workers of Rivers State who are the engine room of this administration.

"As our  civil servants inhabit this wonderful estate, they must take steps to keep it clean.  We will appoint a facility manager, but the payment  will be borne by the state government and the occupants ".

He  informed that the State Government will flag off the construction of Labour House on June 29, 2018.

Watch Video here ;


"We are interested in workers welfare. Our commitment is to ensure that  we create the right environment for workers to perform their roles. ", he said.

Commissioning the 24  3-Bedroom Flats for Civil Servants, Former Plateau State Governor, Senator Jonah David Jang said that projects are only being commissioned in PDP States.

He lauded Governor Wike for transforming the landscape of Rivers State with new projects, noting that Port Harcourt is regaining her garden city status.

"What our governors  are doing , particularly what Governor Wike is doing , you cannot but bring PDP back  to transform the country. There is no sign that anything new will happen. If they have not done anything new in three years, they cannot  do it in the campaign year", he  said.

The Former  Plateau State Governor noted that  there are no new projects being commissioned in APC States  because they are not interested in the welfare of their people.

Chairman of Nigerian Labour Congress, Rivers State Council, Comrade Beatrice Otubo thanked the Rivers State Governor for being workers friendly.  He assured the governor of the support of the governors.

Head of Service, Rivers State, Mr Rufus Godwins said that after the Odili era, Governor Wike is the first Governor to construct a brand new housing estate of Rivers Civil Servants.

18 June, 2018

PDP WILL RESIST ANY FORM OF APC CHEAP PROPAGANDA SAYS NATIONAL CHAIRMAN AFEAN | MEGAFETCH

The National Chairman of Association for Ethical Awareness in Nigeria(Afean)
Patriot. Franklyn Nsa urge Nigerians to disregard the failed APC propaganda  circulating all over social media , he also on this note alerts All PDP faithful to be formidable.

It has come to our notice on the recent APC propagandas and attacks that APC are carrying against PDP Governors and other leaders of the party.

I urge Nigerians to disregard the video circulating all over the social media by APC propagandists that Governor of Gombe State and PDP Presidential hopeful H.E Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo had declared his support for President Muhammadu Buhari second term ambition.

H.E Ibrahim Dankwambo is the only PDP serving Governor who fought and retain his state for PDP in the northern part of our country when the whole north decided to vote for APC in 2015 election.

H.E Ibrahim Dankwambo has a very good educational and administrative record within and outside Nigeria, he has a pedigree and covered with immunity which APC will not be able to intimidate or ridicule him with Efcc or security forces,
H.E Ibrahim Dankwambo is a thread to APC as far as 2019 election is concern if he decide to contest.
Its on this point that APC propagandists decided to blackmailed him with fake and doctored video as tool to cause confusion and disunity in PDP.
Its very obvious that APC has fail at all level which  their strategists lack ideas to win back the confidence of Nigerians most especially in Ekiti State Governorship election than to use propaganda and media strategy to destroy Governor Ayo Fayose and PDP Ekiti State Governorship campaign team.
A right thinking Nigerian can not leave PDP that's bouncing back to power at the centre and join APC that has fail Nigerians beyond repairs.
I call on all members of Association for Ethical Awareness in Nigeria(Afean) and all Nigerians to be steadfast in the ongoing journey to 2019, also close rank and join hands together and deliver PDP in all elections starting from Ekiti State Governorship election to 2019 general elections as PDP is the only party that can put smile on the faces of all Nigerians.

17 June, 2018

World Cup 2018: Rohr fires back as Okocha, criticizes 4-2-3-1 formation | Megafetch

Head coach of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr has insisted that playing a three-man defence against Croatia was not the best decision.


Rohr was reacting to criticisms surrounding his choice of 4-2-3-1 formation for the 2-0 defeat to the Europeans in their Group D opener on Saturday night.
Former Nigeria captain, Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha questioned the decision of the coach not to go with a 3-5-2, which has suited the team best in friendly games.
However, Rohr has argued that they did not concede in open play, so the blame cannot be on the system.
“We didn’t concede in normal play, we conceded only two goals from set pieces. This is not a question of tactics or system. Our system was okay, we cannot play with three (at the back) when there is only one centre forward.
“We played with four defenders because there were three Croatian strikers who are very strong. I was satisfied with the organisation of the team but what we missed in the game is being professional from set pieces. Each game is different. We know we can play with three centre backs but it was not a good day (Saturday) to do that,” the German told reporters.


Daily post. 

Breaking : At Least 31 Killed in Boko Haram Suicide Bomb Attack in Borno | Megafetch



Suspected Boko Haram terrorists killed at least 31 people in a twin suicide bomb attack on a town in northeast Nigeria, a local official and a militia leader told AFP on Sunday.
Two blasts ripped through the town of Damboa in Borno state on Saturday evening targeting people returning from celebrating the Eid al-Fitr holiday, in an attack bearing all the hallmarks of Boko Haram.
Following the suicide bombings, the terrorists fired rocket-propelled grenades into the crowds that had gathered at the scene of the attacks, driving the number of casualties higher.
“There were two suicide attacks and rocket-propelled grenade explosions in Damboa last night which killed 31 people and left several others injured,” said local militia leader Babakura Kolo.
Two suicide bombers detonated their explosives in Shuwari and nearby Abachari neighbourhoods in the town around 10:45 pm (2145GMT), killing six residents, said Kolo, speaking from the state capital Maiduguri, which is 88 kilometres (55 miles) from the town.
“No one needs to be told this is the work of Boko Haram,” Kolo said.
A local government official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, confirmed the death toll.
“The latest death toll is now 31 but it may increase because many among the injured may not survive,” said the official.
“Most of the casualties were from the rocket projectiles fired from outside the town minutes after two suicide bombers attacked,” he said.
The attack is the latest example of Boko Haram’s continued threat to Nigeria and the Lake Chad region, said Ryan Cummings, Africa analyst at the Signal Risk consultancy in South Africa.
“Boko Haram still maintains both the intent and operational capacity to launch mass casualty attacks in parts of northeastern Nigeria,” Cummings said, despite the government’s repeated claims that the group is on the back foot.
The use of the rockets is “particularly conspicuous,” Cummings said, as it “indicates that the sect continues to have access to military-grade weaponry.”
“The Boko Haram insurgency is not showing any immediate signs of” easing, said Cummings.
The terrorist group has regularly deployed suicide bombers — many of them young girls — in mosques, markets and camps housing people displaced by the nine-year insurgency.
On May 1 at least 86 people were killed in twin suicide blasts targeting a mosque and a nearby market in the town of Mubi in neighbouring Adamawa state.

AFP

like and share on facebook